Saturday, July 2, 2011

One step forward.......one step back.

So, here we are again..........another day, another dollar..............or maybe NOT!

This morning I woke up with a head full of positivity and promise. I went to bed thinking about how to get extra cash. Somewhere during what turned out to be a night of more thinking than sleeping, I resolved to make some kind of profit out of the many items of what can only be described as 'tat' that appear to be stored away in various parts of the house.
We are all aware that the price of gold and silver has gone through the roof. You only have to switch on the T.V., radio or turn a page in the local newspaper to find advertisements offering to "turn your old gold into cash", so that was to be my starting point.
I don't know about everyone else, but my jewellery box has more odd earrings than pairs, and several broken chains and bracelets that even if they were to be fixed, would probably never be worn again. So, there you have it. Put any thought of sentimentality aside and de-clutter the jewellery box to earn that cash. Probably won't earn me much, but every little helps right???
So, I stumbled out of bed feeling happy and totally comfortable with my decision to do this. I made my way to the kitchen to make some coffee, feeling good and proud.
However, as I poured the milk my smile quickly faded. Even in my half asleep, blurry eyed state I could clearly see the nicely curdled milk floating in my cup. Not a good start!
My husband and I had previously had a discussion about the fridge running a little warm. Thinking that it was probably because I hadn't yet adjusted the thermostat to accommodate the super high temperatures in Mississippi (normal practice in the summer months over here) I turned it up and pretty much forgot about it. It seems I may have been wrong!
My response, of course (knowing nothing about how refrigerators work) was to turn the dial up higher and await the humming noise that at least tells me it is trying to do its job. Since then, I have tried desperately to put any thought of having to fund a new fridge right out of my head. For those of you who live in England.......electrical appliances in the USA are ridiculously expensive.....I do not even want to entertain the idea of having to pay out for a new one.
So, I try to continue on with my day regardless. However, despite my best efforts I now find myself throwing dirty looks in the general direction of said refrigerator and groaning out loud as I do so.
Time will tell.........

No comments:

Search the web for more information...